Saturday, September 3, 2011

God Still Speaks, He Said Ethiopia to Us

How did we choose Ethiopia? We didn't, God did. I can say this with an absolute assurance. Let me tell you this story, because it has now become my favorite, and I am so excited I have one of these to tell. You know the kind of story I am talking about. The ones that circulate around on emails that you wonder, did that really happen? Like the guy that was told by God to buy milk and then which apartment to take it to, or the couple that packed up their clothes and took them to a neighborhood only to be told to go to a house where everyone there was the exact right size and needed clothes.

If the tone sounds skeptical, it is because I am. I might be the world's biggest cynic, and I would read these stories and say to myself, "God never does that", or at least, "God doesn't do that anymore". My reasoning for this, of course is because He has never done it with me. The closest I had ever gotten to one of those stories is a miraculously found day planner or a close parking spot at Walmart on Black Friday (that still counts, right?). But maybe that has less to do with God and more to do with me.

It seems that most of our energy and resources are directed at setting ourselves up so that we don't need God's intervention. Think about it, do we really want to find ourselves in a situation where we need Him? Who wants to be in a desperate place? Far too often the only time we come to a full and complete understanding that we are fully and completely dependent upon Him are during these times of crisis.
But this is exactly the state that Jesus called 'blessed' when He said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness". I don't believe that Jesus wants us in desperate situations, but rather in every day life to live with desperation. So the challenge is to purposefully look for situations that call for great faith, where only God could get the glory. I believe He loves stuff like that. And that's how I think I got to experience His power and direction in this story.

So how Ethiopia? Well, being a total planner that usually asks God to bless my plans rather than set my direction, I put together a PowerPoint presentation for the family with three countries (Peru, Philippines, Ethiopia) with all the stats on economy, orphans, location, and pictures of children from that area (I know, my poor children, right?). We viewed the presentation, prayed, then agreed to wait and hear what God had to say.

Zach hit the mower, Karie headed for the laundry, Lizze to her room, and I went to the reading room for some quiet time (every guy knows exactly where I am). I took my One Year New Living Translation and opened to the marked page (the wrong date) and it was there at 2 Chronicles 14:9 "Once an Ethiopian named Zerah...". Any other translation would have "Cushite", but this modernized translation uses the modern, Ethiopia.

Quirky, yes, but I thought.... nah. Then as I was heading to help Karie, Zach comes in and pulls me to the side to tell me he was listening to a podcast sermon from last Christmas preached by Kyle Idelman called "Socks and Underwear". In this sermon Kyle used an illustration of a couple at Southeast Christian adopting a child from, guess where? If you said, Ethiopia, you are a very spiritual person, and also spot on.

But the best was to come that Monday when I was picking up catering at Chic Fil A. I was pulling out of the parking lot when the van below pulls in front of me. Look close and see that there is a picture of Africa, with the word Ethiopia across it, and a heart where the country should be. For added effect (and just because He can), there is a family of Jesus fish on the other side. This van also had no license plate and no marking/writing on the side. I have never before or since seen a van,car, or Amish buggy with any African stickers on it. I took the picture on my phone (while stopped, of course) to remember that God still speaks to us today. He really does, He is good, and He still wants to talk to me and you today, we just need to quit fearing the hearing.
So Ethiopia it is, and thank you God for still talking to me, even when I try to push you out.

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment