Monday, April 16, 2012

You Are Here... Not For Long

I hate to sound redundant, but today was another great day. It started out raining buckets which, we have been told, is an unusual event given that the rainy season is still a few weeks away. But as Wass (our driver) put it, "In Ethiopia, we are always thankful for the rain." We were wondering how this would affect our play time, but the morning was filled with our orientation preparing us for court tomorrow and the coming weeks ahead.

We have been told that the process from this point on will take about 6-8 weeks before we can go back to get them. I think that after being there at the orphanage so long, Ubang and Chad know the drill as they have seen plenty of parents come, visit, and then come back for their kids, but I don't know how well mom and dad are gonna do.

After the Q&A about what happens next in our process, we got to spend what seemed like too short a time playing with them. Four-square, memory, and the iPad all while trying to get their sizes for their clothes. When we pick them on our second trip, they will come with the clothes on their backs, so we have to pack all the clothes/things they need with us. They were both excited to learn that they would be getting new clothes, Ubang more than Chad I think!

Near the end of the day, we went to the balcony again, and this time Chad asked if the world outside that she saw was America. This time dad was prepared. I had bookmarked some locations, our hotel in Addis Ababa and our house in Kentucky on Google Maps where it shows the globe. So I was able to show them down to street level where they would live in a couple months, across the world. When I pointed to our house, Ubang asked, "My house?". Even though the picture was fuzzy, he really still had no idea how far away he and his sister would be traveling, and even though he still had no idea what exactly America is like, it was enough-- more than enough-- that he had a home. He, and his sister have a Forever Family and we can't wait to get them home.

May my faith be that real, may my wants be that simple, and may the things that I strive for be that pure. The next time I worry, complain, want, I hope I remember what my son has taught me, home is enough. While I am here, God has blessed be with home, and when I die He has blessed me again. May that always be enough.

Brian

1 comment:

  1. It is so precious to read your blog. We met your son and daughter in December when we were in Ethiopia for our first trip. THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! As I read your blog, it takes me back to just a few months ago when we walked the same path. We have been home 6 wks with our 6 yr old S and 2 yr old B...both HH children. Look forward to following U and C's journey HOME!!

    ReplyDelete